Great skin never goes out of style – but as technology advances and our understanding of the best ingredients and practices becomes more informed, we welcome these 2016 best practices and beauty breakthroughs.
1) Retinol Products Everywhere. Retinol isn’t new, but the technology that delivers retinol makes it more efficient and easier on those with sensitive skin. Still a do-it-all skin-saving solution, retinol a cream is for photo-aged, stressed and traumatized skin. Regeneration Cream by Rhonda Allison is highly recommended by Renee Grier, here at New Leaf. It’s great for post treatment regeneration, but is also hugely beneficial as a daily moisturizer and contains Hyaluronic acid to attract moisture to the surface, leaving skin plumped and glowing. Additionally, New Leaf offers clients a custom blended RetinA cream for more intensive skin remodeling for those whose skin has excessive environmental damage and pigmentation issues.
2) Night Serums & Other Night Creams. Serums are concentrated formulas designed to prevent and correct discoloration, wrinkles, acne, excess oil, and more. Serums are powerful and essential to skin care regimens to achieve optimal skin health. Nighttime is when the skin is working hard to regenerate from the daily assault of sun, wind, free radicals, and other stresses and strains. A 2016 trend will be to help the skin with the regeneration process by implementing serums into our bedtime skin care routine. A favorite at New Leaf is Skinceuticals Metacell Renewal B3, which renews skin by increasing cell turnover, reduces the appearance of discoloration and redness, and delivers intense hydration without a tacky feel.
3) Resurfacing Treatments. This is a treatment, rather than a product, aimed at anti-wrinkle and discoloration. At New Leaf, we offer a time-tested technology designed to stimulate collagen through tiny pulses of heat, which penetrate the dermis. The results of our Portrait Plasma Skin Regeneration Treatment are noticeably better than other resurfacing techniques and has a shorter downtime than most laser treatments. As a 2016 trend, we’ll see resurfacing technology rise to the top of the resurfacing treatment movement. Another aspect of resurfacing is the trend toward microneedling as a method of remodeling the epidermis, and with more aggressive treatment, stimulating collagen production in the deeper dermis layer. Watch for a new treatment on the horizon at New Leaf!
4) SPF in Everything. In 2015, we saw SPF find it’s way into everything from concealer, to lip gloss, to eye shadow. It’s a welcome trend and one that promises better technology, more efficiency, and environmentally friendly advancements in 2016. At New Leaf, we recommend some outstanding sunscreens that are cosmetically easy to apply without tacky, oily, or sticky residue. Skinceuticals Physical Fusion contains spf 50 is New Leaf’s bestseller. It’s groundbreaking, weightless, and is made of transparent titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, rather than the harsh chemicals in most other sunscreens. The New Skinmedica Total Defense and Repair Broad Spectrum, with SPF 34, is a revolutionary superscreen that goes beyond UV protection to defend against harmful infrared rays while supporting the skin’s ability to restore itself. Both come in a sheer and tinted variety, eliminating the need for foundation.
5) DIY Skincare Recipes & Natural Skin Care Products. In the U.S. 54% percent of women have said natural skin care products are important to them. In response to this consumer demand, many companies have been reformulating their products to include a higher proportion of natural ingredients. The downside to this movement is the oversupply of self-proclaimed beauty gurus and life hackers making it easy to get sucked into the DIY beauty trend of homemade concoctions. One glance at Pinterest and consumers are swimming in food-based wonder-working-cure-alls for everything from wrinkles and fine lines, to acne and irritated skin. That’s not to say all of these recipes are bad, but they can’t hold a candle to well-formulated products specifically designed to penetrate the surface layer of skin, without causing irritation or damage. Stay-tuned for a future series on superfoods and fun DIY recipes for your next Girl’s Netflix Night that will help you practice better skin care (e.g., avocado oil rather than avocados – leave that for your guacamole) without harmful ingredients (e.g., we’re looking at you lemon!).
6) “Niacinamide” Our 2016 Skin Care Buzzword. Niacinamide is has garnered increasing interest and scientific study as a critical skincare vitamin. Also known as Vitamin B3, this beauty building block is being called a wonder-ingredient. It increases fatty acids in the skin, reduces wrinkles, and boosts hydration by strengthening the skin’s protective barrier to lock in moisture. It also boosts cellular metabolism to accelerate skin renewal, which helps even skin tone and texture. As if this wasn’t enough, niacin also soothes skin and helps with the UV damage repair process. More recent studies are exploring the ability of niacinamide to reduce non-melanoma skin cancer. For these reasons, niacinamide is our winning 2016 beauty and skin care buzzword. For a vial of your own vitamin magic, check out Skinceuticals Metacell Renewal B3 from trend number four. Niacinamide is the primary ingredient and it’s available right here at New Leaf.
There are many skin care trends and innovations out there, but these are the chart toppers. Stay tuned for related advice, tips, and new product introductions as New Leaf stays at the forefront of medical aesthetic treatments – just one of the many reasons we are the Keys #1 medi-spa. Happy New Year!
Give the gift that’s always in season and the right size! Our gift cards are available in any amount, and can be used for any product or service we offer!
They can be purchased by phone or in person. 305.509.2550 Make someone smile with a gift card today!